$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

The perfect pairings of music and drinks

Emma Kersting
Emma Kersting

Check out Deep Dive — a bar and live music venue — found off the shore of Cayuga Lake 50 yards from the Boatyard Grill. Deep Dive hosts Southern Supper Sunday every other week, featuring live music, food and line dancing lessons. 

Local bands perform live music throughout the night, including The Deep Dive Barn Haulers, the house band for Southern Sunday. Guests are encouraged to don their best Southern apparel and most arrive dressed in boots, cowboy hats and lots of denim. 

The perfect drink to match the vibe of the hootenanny is a cool pint of beer. The Lucky Hare Deep Dive Pale Ale is a sunny yellow that serves as a crisp refreshing drink, especially as you catch your breath after learning a new line dance. 

The ale pairs well with a hot basket of the Babe’s Burgers french fries. The salty fries come with sides of ketchup and Thousand Island dressing. 

Deep Dive’s visiting band was Whistlin’ Dyl and the Spice Rack on March 24, who perform original Folk Country Rock music. The frontman is appropriately nicknamed with most songs featuring a small solo of Dyl’s controlled and perfectly tuned whistling.

Dyl, who played an acoustic guitar, often turned to the bassist as he played. The two would lean to each other as they played, as if their instruments were having a conversation. The Spice Rack brought the action; the chemistry amongst the band members was clear as they all moved freely about the stage based on their playing parts. 

Emma Kersting
Courtesy of Lucsa Waters

Thursgay is a weekly event at The Range on the Ithaca Commons. The specialty night typically features drag performances and DJs, with the March 28 show featuring performers Sylix Morrison and Queen Tessential as the hosts of the evening.

Tequila Sunrise — tequila, orange juice, and grenadine with an orange slice garnish — with a splash of cranberry was recommended by the bartender to drink at Thursgay on the eve of Beyoncé’s latest album, “COWBOY CARTER.” 

The cocktail matches the high energy vibe of Thursgay’s “Ain’t no Hoedown” party as the sugary juice with the kick of tequila bring a person to their feet to dance along with the queens on stage. 

As if Beyoncé being one of the biggest stars on the planet for over 20 years is not enough to get a crowd excited, the recent single “Texas Hold ‘Em” had all the patrons at The Range rushing to the dance floor. Most attendees were dressed somewhere between going to a hoedown and the “Renaissance” tour, with cowboy hats, face glitter and boots. 

The Range is a hot spot for drinks and live music with its convenient location on The Commons. The bar has the distinct design of a Western saloon, but appeals to all audiences with performances ranging in style from drag shows to rock bands to country singers. 

Emma Kersting
Emma Kersting

Bike Bar can be found across the street from The Commons, down the block from where Viva used to be. The bar welcomed Taksim on March 26 as part of their Tuesday night live music sessions.

Taksim specializes in performing Middle Eastern music using a combination of Western and Asian instruments — cello and flute, bandir, oud and goblet drums. The group fuses musical cultures of the Eastern and Western Hemispheres, so there are two drinks recommended to pair with the evening. 

The French 75 — gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and champagne — brings on a bright, citrusy energy that tastes like a classic lemonade with a kick. 

The Sazerac — rye whiskey, sugar, water, bitters and an absinthe rinse — is for a more acquired taste. This drink is strong with a touch of sweetness with a taste reminiscent of black licorice. 

The two drinks reflect the type of night to have at Bike Bar; the French 75 is light and refreshing, perfect for a fun night out with friends. The Sazerac, on the other hand, is bold and transports the patron out of the bar to the cultural ambiguity of Taksim.

Bike Bar has a rustic feel with furnishings and the bar made from deep brown wood. With different types and colors of bikes donning the walls and ceilings including a tricycle pinned up next to the liquor shelf it is clear the location’s name is taken to heart. With low yellow lighting, Bike Bar has a warm atmosphere welcoming any passerby.