$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefing: Sept. 18

Ithaca College to show play directed by alumna
Civic Ensemble, Ithaca’s civic-minded theater company, will be presenting “Safety: A new play about community-police relations” at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 in Textor 101.
The play is directed by Sarah K. Chalmers, an Ithaca College alumna and the cast, design team and crew feature students from the college.
Entry for students will be free, and ticket reservations can be made in advance. For non-students, a free ticket reservation can be made in advacne or any amount can be paid at the door. No person will be turned away due to the inability to pay and the person pay whatever he or she can afford. Cash, check and charge will be accepted.

Natural Lands to seek new volunteer stewards
The Ithaca College Natural Lands is looking for more members for the Volunteer Steward Program for the 365 acres of natural lands that it manages.
The volunteer steward would adopt an area, usually a long part of a trail, and would have to hike it at least three times a month. If anything needs to be reported, like fallen trees, fires or any signs of hunting, then it is the steward’s job to report it to the ICNL staff as soon as possible.
Several orientations will be held and hiking doesn’t have to be done alone if unfamiliar with the area. Stewards receive a free T-shirt or cap, and they are the first to be contacted about any upcoming group hikes or other outdoor workshops.
To sign up, students should contact [email protected].

Graduate school forum available to all students
The Office of Career Services will be hosting a workshop to help students who are debating going to graduate school at 4 p.m. Sept. 23 in Muller 101.
Topics such as the benefits of graduate school, how to find the right program, the application process and entrance exams will be covered within the workshop.
Students who want to attend will need to sign up on eRecruiting in order to save a seat.
Additionally, Senior Year Student Leadership Institutes credit can be acquired through this workshop, but students must registered by 4 p.m. Sept. 21. If students have any questions, they should contact [email protected].

IC ranked high in 2015 list for Best Colleges
The U.S. News & World Report released its list of “Best Colleges” for 2015, and Ithaca College has been ranked number nine among the top colleges and universities in the Northern region of the country.
In another list categorized as “great schools, great prices,” Ithaca was ranked No. 13 for its education quality and cost.
This is the 20th year Ithaca College has placed in the top 15 of the U.S. News & World Report’s annual “Best Colleges” issue. To be ranked, the magazine considers the quality of an institution through peer assessment, faculty resources, student selectivity, graduation and retention rates, financial resources and graduation- rate performance.
The college is listed in the regional universities category along with 620 other institutions. These instituions provide a full range of undergraduate majors and master’s degree programs but few doctoral programs.

Faculty Council to host next Town Hall meeting
At 12:05 p.m. Sept. 18 in Textor 102, Faculty Council will hold its next Town Hall meeting, which is open to faculty.
All topics of interest or of concern may be raised by faculty. There will not be any media present and administrative faculty and staff are requested to refrain from attending.

Cornell settles lawsuit over student’s suicide
The father of Cornell University freshman Bradley M. Ginsberg has settled a lawsuit with the university and the City of Ithaca over his son’s suicide.
Ginsberg jumped off a bridge near the campus in 2010. The following year, his father sued the university and city for not adding some sort of prevention around the bridge to avoid suicide attempts. A question that was raised within the lawsuit was the nature of the colleges’ responsibility to protect students.
The university agreed to pay $1.6 to $1.8 million to establish a scholarship in honor of Ginsberg. The city will pay Ginsberg’s father, Howard Ginsberg, $100,000, but did not admit fault.

$1495
$2000