$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefing: Oct. 30

Event to raise money for hunger awareness
The annual Food Frenzy will be held Oct. 30 in Emerson Suites where vendors will present a variety of foods for a $3 donation. All proceeds will go to the BackPack Program for the Food Bank of the Southern Tier. The goal is $5,000.
Donations will also be accepted at any retail dining location at the college: Dillingham Cafe, IC Square Food Court, Sub Connection, Sandella’s Cafe, Grand Central Cafe, Cafe @ the Park School, Center for Health Sciences Coffee Cart, Cafe @ the Business School, Library Cafe and Circles Market until Nov. 5.
The national campaign to fight childhood hunger is titled “Team No Kid Hungry.”

Guest speaker will talk about antibiotics Nov. 4
The Department of Chemistry at Ithaca College will be hosting a guest speaker at 4:15 p.m. on Nov. 4 in Center for Natural Sciences Room 333.
The speaker, a 2003 alumnus of the college, is Marcos Pires, who will be presenting about drug-resistant bacterial infections and the resulting need for new antibiotics. He will be detailing his work in the area of synthetic immunology, as well as the use of D-amino acids to create a diagnostic test to identify bacteria and assess their drug-resistance levels. The event is open to the public.
Pires attended Ithaca College for his undergraduate degree in chemistry, before getting his Doctor of Philosophy degree in chemistry from Purdue University and his Post Doctoral Fellowship from the University of Pennsylvania.

Workshop will promote storytelling in teaching
Teachers can convene at 10 a.m. on Nov. 4 in 316 Gannett Center to practice storytelling and teaching through stories with award-winning storyteller, facilitator and educator Regi Carpenter, a lecturer in the Department of Communication Studies. Participants will share their stories with one another and will work in small groups to practice methods of teaching.

Honors application open to interested students
Interested freshmen and sophomores must submit applications to the Ithaca College Honors Program before Dec. 12. Applications must include a recommendation by a faculty member and twoessays. Sophomores must also demonstrate that they will be able to fit 19 credits of honors courses into their final five semesters.
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is necessary in order to be considered for the program.
Students will be notified about their status by mid-January, and admitted students must enroll in an honors class for Spring 2015 to be fully admitted.

Physical therapy majors seek infants for study
Physical therapy students studying motor development will be holding lab sessions Nov. 6 and are in search of participants, namely babies and toddlers ages newborn to 36 months.
Three different groups of students will be hosting three lab sessions, and people are invited to participate in any number of the sessions.
The students will test and observe different aspects of the babies’ motor development. The babies can have company throughout the lab. The students will be guided by three physical therapy instructors, and the reward is $15 per hour.
Parents or legal guardians will have to sign a consent form and a W-9 form. The form will require the infant’s social security number. Labs will be held in the Center for Health Sciences.

Youths wanted for study about substance abuse
People between the ages of 18 and 25 who have received services for mental health or substance abuse challenges while living at home as a dependent are invited to share their experiences with faculty members in the Departments of Psychology and Sociology.
Faculty are conducting a study on the experiences of adolescents who received such services, and are conducting interviews lasting 30–75 minutes. Participants will receive a $10 gift card as compensation.

Sodexo offers survey on dining satisfaction
Sodexo is hosting a Dining Satisfaction Survey online until Nov. 5. The survey states the information found will be used for research purposes and kept private. The information will reportedly be used to enhance students’ dining experiences.

$1520
$2000