$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs March 2

Changes in place for Fall 2017 class registration processes

Ithaca College has made changes to Fall 2017 registration, which begins April 4.

In an effort to ease the stress and anticipation during the initial week of registration, time tickets will be expanded over two weeks. According to a message on Intercom, the hope is this will give students more time to meet with advisers and departments, along with more flexibility to manage enrollment and course demand and will allow for a more efficient review of override requests.

All time tickets will also be moved outside of regular class meeting times. The new times will be 7:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Students will still be randomly assigned to a time. The Office of the Registrar and deans’ offices in each school will be open at 7:30 a.m. on registration days to assist students. The Fall 2017 course schedule will be available for viewing March 14, and time ticket information will be available on HomerConnect after noon March 20.

School of Business staff member dies after five years of service

Doug Elias, information technology specialist in the School of Business for over five years, has died at age 64. 

He served as a part of the finance department through his oversight of the systems in the Trading Room. He also maintained the software used for Excel training and the Excel certification exam taken by all business students. Most recently, he became a faculty colleague in the management department as an instructor of business analytics.

Abraham Mulugetta, Dana professor of finance and international business and founder of the Trading Room, said Elias put in tireless efforts to keep the Trading Room in working order. William Tastle, chair of the management department, said Elias was someone who took to a task with zeal.

In keeping with Elias’ wishes, there will not be a formal funeral service. Those who knew Elias are encouraged to raise a glass in a toast to remember him.

Ithaca College included on list of highest Fulbright producers 

A recent article published by the Chronicle of Higher Education on Feb. 19 lists Ithaca College as one of eight “Master’s Institutions” noted as top producers of Fulbright scholars and students for 2016–17.

This distinction is of particular significance for the School of Humanities and Sciences, as two of the three students awarded Fulbrights for research during the 2016–17 academic year are recent H&S graduates. Jaime Lisack ’16 received her Fulbright grant to study cell development in the Rufolf Virchow Center at the University of Würzburg, Germany, while Erika Bucior ’16 received her Fulbright to study an invasive plant species in Trinidad and Tobago.

Additionally, Donathan Brown, associate professor in the Department of Communication Studies, was recently presented a Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to teach race and American politics during Spring 2017 at the University of Maribor in Slovenia.

CSCRE to host panelist event about social justice for youth

As part of the #Imminentgeneration series, the Center for the Study of Culture, Race and Ethnicity will be hosting the second spring discussion series event, “Acting Locally: Organizing from the Perspective of
Generation Z.” 

The event will feature a panel of local Generation Z youth activists and organizers, who will discuss and answer questions about their social justice work. 

The event will take place at 6 p.m. March 2 in Klingenstein Lounge on the second floor of the Campus Center. Areas covered will include issues related to food justice, youth incarceration and environmental justice.

The panelists will be discussing what is most important to them and what the roles and responsibilities are to the members of the
imminent generation. 

IC graduate receives fellowship to Sundance Institute program

Documentary filmmaker Leah Galant ’15 attended the 2017 Sundance Film Festival as one of the Sundance Institute’s Ignite fellows.

The Sundance Ignite program provides 15 fellows ages 18–24 with an exclusive ticket package to attend the Sundance Film Festival, as well as a yearlong Sundance Institute experience to provide artistic and professional
development, mentorship and industry exposure for young filmmakers.

Galant attended the festival from Jan. 19 to 29 in Park City, Utah. She viewed film screenings and panel discussions on topics such as film distribution and using film for social responsibility. She and the other fellows also spoke with directors following some of the screenings. 

The remainder of the Ignite program will be tailored to Galant’s individual interests as a documentary filmmaker. She’ll have opportunities to attend other festivals, apply for
internships and participate in filmmaking labs at the Sundance Institute.

$1495
$2000