$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefs Aug. 30

From+left%2C+Cornell+junior+Camryn+Carlo+and+sophomore+Doga+Ozalp+block+while+Ithaca+sophomore+Naomi+Clauhs+spikes+and+senior+Julia+Costa+and+junior+Ellie+Benedict+get+ready+to+defend+at+the+scrimmage+between+Cornell+and+Ithaca+on+Aug.+26.+
Nolan Saunders
From left, Cornell junior Camryn Carlo and sophomore Doga Ozalp block while Ithaca sophomore Naomi Clauhs spikes and senior Julia Costa and junior Ellie Benedict get ready to defend at the scrimmage between Cornell and Ithaca on Aug. 26.

Alumni Weekend opens  registrations

Registration for Alumni Weekend, which will take place from Oct. 27–29, is now open. The weekend will include celebrations for the Roy H. Park School of Communications’ 50th anniversary, the Department of Chemistry’s 60th anniversary and the Department of Physical Therapy’s 75th anniversary. The Hall of Fame Induction ceremony, alumni awards, a pre-football game picnic and a welcome party will also be organized during the weekend. The college has also arranged for special housing rates for interested alumni. Individuals interested in volunteering for Alumni Weekend should contact [email protected]

BIPOC Unity Center hosts BBQ event

The BIPOC Unity Center — previously known as the Center for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Social Change — will be hosting a BIPOC Unity BBQ event from 3 to 7 p.m. Sep. 1 on the Campus Center Quad. The event will provide students an opportunity to familiarize themselves with organizations and clubs run by students of color and meet new people. There will be music, outdoor lawn games and other activities as well. Individuals requiring accommodations should contact [email protected] or 607-274-7777. 

Book discussion on ageism open to all

The Ithaca College Gerontology Institute is inviting participants to a book discussion about ageism that will be held between Oct. 23 and Nov. 15. The conversations will be facilitated by Mary Ann Erickson, professor in the Department of Health Sciences and Public Health, and student interns at The Finger Lakes Geriatric Education Center depending on which days the discussions are held on. The discussions will be based on the book “Ageism Unmasked: Exploring Age Bias & How to End It,” by Tracey Gendron. Individuals of all ages are encouraged to participate and can do so via the QR code available in the Intercom post. The book will be available for loan for individuals who might need it. Interested individuals, students and faculty should reach out to [email protected] for accommodation requests. 

LGBT Center hosts student social

Ithaca College Center for LGBT Education, Outreach & Services is organizing an LGBTQ+ student social at 5 p.m. Aug. 31 in Clark Lounge. At the event, students will be able to interact with peers and staff of the LGBTQ+ community and learn about affiliated student organizations. Crissi Dalfonzo, the newly appointed director for the center, will be meeting students as well. Individuals with accommodation requests and questions should contact [email protected]

Division of Information Technology and Analytics organizes webinar on Microsoft Teams

The Division of Information Technology and Analytics is hosting a webinar about the basics of Microsoft Teams from 10–11 a.m. Aug. 30 via Zoom. The webinar will cover topics like differences between group, team chats and channels, specifics of files stored in OneDrive and accessibility features available in meetings. Interested individuals can register for the webinar through this link

Nominations open for the Teaching Resource Allocation Committee

Nominations for an empty faculty seat on the Teaching Resource Allocation Committee are being accepted until Sep. 1. Self-nominations are accepted and must be submitted to [email protected]. Eligible nominees include faculty members who have been full-time faculty for at least five years and should be associate professors or professors not required to be tenured. Individuals nominating other faculty must ensure that their nominees are ready to serve on the committee. If appointed, members would have to serve until Spring 2026.