$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Feb. 18

IC Gerontology Institute to host  Syracuse University professor

As part of the Gerontology Institute Distinguished Speaker Series, Ithaca College will welcome Thomas H. Dennison to speak about how the United States will handle changes in long-term care. Dennison, director of the Program in Health Services Management and Policy at Syracuse’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, is scheduled to present at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 in Emerson Suites.

The program will explore how shifts in finances, demographics and societal values have influenced the formal service system. With 39 years of practice in the health care consulting field, Dennison now teaches in the university’s Department of Public Administration and International Affairs while also directing the Lerner Center for Public Health Promotion.

The Aging Studies program at the college brings this event to the campus community for free.

Residential Learning Communities expanded to include new program

This year, Ithaca College has announced a new Residential Learning Community to join the list of other communities centered around the sharing of passions and academic interests. “La Casa” will feature an immersive language-learning environment for students interested in improving their Spanish or Italian. It will be located on the first floor of Terrace 5.

Along with specialized living environments, students will work with members of the college faculty for mentorship and support.

Foreign language proficiency housing will join other RLCs, including Quiet Study, Substance-Free and Interfaith. Although most of these housing environments are in Terraces, Lyon and Eastman in the lower quads offer housing for Honors students and residents interested in exposure to many different cultures through the Multicultural Experience learning community.

Members of RLCs will participate in community-building programs and plan trips together in efforts to further share unique learning experiences together. Students interested in joining one of the 10 communities can apply via HomerConnect. More information about each specific program can be found at http://www.ithaca.edu/reslife/guide/specialty/.

Alumni to present scholarships for unpaid summer internships 

The Class of 2008 will provide scholarships to current freshman, sophomore or junior students who plan to participate in an unpaid internship during Summer 2016. Additionally, financial assistance will be given to applicants who plan to intern in the Washington, D.C., area for Summer 2016.

To be selected, scholarship candidates must be in good judicial standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The Office of Financial Aid will also determine if the applicant demonstrates financial need.

Both scholarships are only available to full-time students at Ithaca College who already receive financial aid. Those who receive full tuition assistance are ineligible for these two programs. More information can be obtained through the Office of Career Services.

Career Services to sponsor ALANA networking opportunity

As part of the ongoing Black History Month celebration, the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs will partner with the Office of Career Services to provide an opportunity for African, Latino, Asian and Native American students to network with alumni of color. Guests will expand their professional networks as they hear how diverse personal perspectives from graduates influenced their pathway to success in the workplace.

From 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 27, students are invited to Clark Lounge in the  Campus Center for the annual career connections event. Co-sponsored by Alumni
Relations, the Office of State Grants and Tutoring Services, the event will feature a panel discussion from a handful of distinguished alumni who pursued careers in the fields of college admissions, accounting and education.

Participants are encouraged to dress in business-casual attire and enjoy refreshments at the event. Accommodations are possible through the Office of Career Services and can be reached at 607-274-3365.

Project Look Sharp to offer free  climate change webinar March 8

Join Project Look Sharp’s primary curriculum writer, Sox Sperry, as he navigates through media coverage regarding global warming and climate change. This lesson will incorporate media literacy in order to analyze authorship, accuracy and sourcing. The free webinar will be live from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 8.

Any middle and high school educators or prospective teachers in and around the Ithaca community can register for the event at the website listed on Intercom and receive a free online kit containing tools such as handouts and lesson plans at www.projectlooksharp.org.

After the webinar is over, it will be archived for those who cannot participate during the live event. The program directors are available at [email protected].

$1495
$2000