$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Feb. 4

DIIS announces new online video hosting service and content tools

The campus community will now be able to explore a new video hosting service. The partnership between DIIS and Kaltura, a premier video service vendor, will allow easy access to host, manage and deliver videos to better serve the mission of Ithaca College. The service offers tutorials ranging from login instruction to video embedding on Sakai. Additionally, content creation tools come free with a service called CaptureSpace, for which guidance is provided. College faculty, staff and students can access these services at https://media.ithaca.edu. More improvements are currently being made to test the capability of this service and integrate Sakai.

IC club to host Super Bowl party

Students searching for plans to celebrate the 2016 Super Bowl are encouraged to join the student organization IC After Dark at 6 p.m. Feb. 7 in Emerson Suites. This annual event will feature free food, games and an opportunity to watch the Carolina Panthers take on the Denver Broncos on giant screens.

Commons to present chili cook-off

Approximately 30 restaurants will be featured in the 18th annual Great Downtown Ithaca Chili Cook-off, hosted from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 6. Restaurants will compete for the titles of “Best Meat/Overall Chili,” “Best Vegetarian” and “People’s Choice Chili.” The cook-off will also include a farmers market with local vendors, wineries and breweries displaying their goods.

This year, the Tompkins Trust Company will provide new additions to the cook-off by converting the Center Ithaca lobby into a “Family Fun Zone.” This transformation will feature face painting, craft stations and an indoor roller skating rink. Other highlights include free massages offered by the Finger Lakes School of Massage and free entertainment presented by renowned hypnotist Michael C. Anthony.

Ticket booths will be cash only, and patrons are encouraged to purchase tickets beforehand by calling 607-277-8679 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 1–5. Volunteers are also in demand and should email any related questions to [email protected]

In case of inclement weather, the cook-off will be rescheduled to Feb. 7. For more information and updates, visit http://downtownithaca.com.

New controller appointed to take IC finance operations role in 2016

Janet Williams has been appointed to the position of college controller and plans to  begin her new duties Feb. 8. Williams will provide leadership and strategic direction for the college’s finance operations in the spring of 2016.

Gerald Hector, vice president for finance and administration, will work alongside Williams to develop and implement short- and long-term strategies, as well as internal financial controls, in support of the college’s vision. Williams’ duties will include supervising the directors of financial services and the information systems manager.

Her experience includes several senior financial and operation management roles with Lockheed Martin, Corning Inc. and Kraft Foods.

The position became available after Robert Cree, previous college controller, accepted a position in the fall as chief financial officer at Wells College.

OSEMA opens application process for Student Leadership Consultant

Students interested in working alongside others to develop leadership skills are invited to apply to be Student Leadership Consultants for Fall 2016. The application is active from Jan. 25 to Feb. 19. Through continuous education and training, SLCs have the opportunity to expand their skills in the areas of customer service, public speaking, marketing and program development.

Potential applicants will serve as ambassadors to the campus community and have the opportunity to be creative in marketing leadership opportunities.

Questions about the position should be directed to Garret Downing, First-Year Experience program coordinator. He can be contacted at [email protected] or 607-274-1908.

Full-time faculty eligible for awards for promoting diversity in teaching

Full-time faculty members who have completed at least one year of employment at Ithaca College and will be full-time during the 2016–17 academic year are eligible for nomination for an award. The Faculty Development Committee and the Center for Faculty Excellence will offer five $1,500 awards.

The award seeks to celebrate faculty who have achieved distinction in the area of promoting diversity in teaching, scholarship and service. A student who wishes to nominate a faculty member may request that another faculty member complete and submit the nomination form on their behalf.

Nominations and other supporting materials are due Feb. 29 and should be submitted electronically to Andrew Utterson at [email protected].

$1495
$2000